Date: 11 February 2020
Location: Mouldridge Mine
So you’re interested in coming caving on Tuesday? Here’s what you need to know?
I don’t have any caving kit. What should I bring? What should I borrow?
Part of the cost includes hiring use of the special equipment you’ll use. Here’s what you should bring:
- Full change of clothes for afterwards including underwear and socks
- Some warm older/less nice clothes to wear underneath the caving overalls you’ll borrow. These may get slightly damp or mucky. Good suggestions:
- A onesie + some leggings.
- A t-shirt, fleece and two pairs of leggings
- leggings + tracksuit bottoms + some warm upper layers
- Wellies (we do have spares if necessary, but the sizes and stock are limited). These don’t have to be special wellies – £12 wellies from go-outdoors or sparkling pink wellies with fur linings are all good.
- Any important medicines you take
- Contact lenses or string for your glasses.
- A snack well wrapped you enjoy eating
What will I be given?
- Caving overalls to go over the rest of your clothes
- Caving Helmet + Caving Headtorch + Batteries
- Wellies [if you need them]
What about the rain?
Doesn’t matter – it will happen anyway. There’s no water in this mine and it’s not likely to be affected by rain.
Is it safe?
Caving has risks and by coming you accept these risks. This mine is widely visited and Tim has taken his nephews and nieces here.
When do I need to be where?
We’ll all meet near Matlock at 7:30pm. Try to be early rather than late <3
Meeting location: This precise place
When will we get back?
We’re aiming to be out of the cave before 10:30 pm. The faster we get in, the faster we get out.
What should I expect?
We will arrive at the location together and get you the equipment you need. This is the best time to try on this kit and make sure we get the right size.
We’ll walk to the cave and explore it together. It is a 6 minute walk to the cave from the cars.
The cave contains some crouched passages, some walking passages. You will have a powerful headtorch so it will be quite bright. The group will be together and there will be much laughter and possibly swearing. It will be fun.
What cave are we going to exactly?
We’re going to Mouldridge Mine near Matlock. It’s gentle with no ropes required required – all levels and skills are catered for here.
Will I be scared?
Maybe. Sometimes new different things are scary. But we’ll be supporting and encouraging you to take things at your pace the entire time. This about having fun and having each others back. Whether you’re nervous or loving it, we’ve got your back.
How long will we be underground?
We’ll see how we’re feeling. At a guess – 2.5 hours – but we have plenty of options to shorten if we feel it’s the right thing.
Who is coming with us?
The caving trip will be lead by Tim Dobson – a patient and reassuring cave leader.
The trip size is limited. There probably won’t be more than 5 people.