Date: 1st June 2021
Location: Matlock, Derbyshire
We’re going caving to Devonshire Caverns on Tuesday evening. A great trip for someone’s second, third, fourth time underground, or first time trying vertical things in caving.
So you’re interested in coming caving? Here’s what you need to know!
I don’t have any caving kit. What should I bring? What should I borrow?
Part of the cost includes hiring use of the special equipment you’ll use. Here’s what you should bring:
- Some warm older/less nice clothes to wear as a base layer underneath the caving-specific clothes we will provide. Some examples
- Fleece jumpers
- Thermal base layers
- Outdoorsy t-shirts
Avoid anything made from cotton or untreated wool (such as t-shirts or wooly jumpers); synthetic fabrics that keep their warmth when wet work best here. You will be provided with a thick fleece layer and a protective outer layer to wear over this, so if all you have is cotton you’re better going without.
- Change of socks/underwear/replacement clothing. Anything you wear into the cave will likely be too wet and dirty to wear afterwards in the car, so make sure you have spare clothes for the drive home.
- Wellies (we do have spares if necessary, but the sizes and stock are limited). These aren’t special wellies – £12 wellies from go-outdoors or sparkling pink wellies with fur linings are great for caving.
- Any important medicines you take
- Contact lenses or string for your glasses.
- A full sealed snack you enjoy eating (eg a mars bar)
If you have one, bring a normal rock climbing harness. If you don’t – don’t worry.
What will I be borrowing?
If you don’t already have them:
- Caving overalls to go over the rest of your clothes
- Caving Helmet with Caving Headtorch and fully charged Batteries
What about the rain?
Doesn’t matter – it will happen anyway.
Won’t it be windy?
We’re in a cave. It will not be windy.
Will it be as cold as outside?
The temperature in the cave is cooler than the outside temperature at the moment – about 13C. You’ll be well dressed and there’ll be no wind.
What about Covid?
You’ll be briefed on Covid precautions on arrival. Group size will be less than 5, and government mandated social distancing will be kept to. You own gloves and hand sanitiser are recommended.
When do I need to be where?
We’ll all meet at a carpark in Matlock bath at 18:30. Try to be early rather than late!
Meeting location: will be shared before the event on Messenger – but its in Central Matlock Bath.
When will we get back?
We’re aiming to be out of the cave before 10pm. The faster we get in, the faster we get out. We may well be out sooner.
What should I expect?
We will arrive at the location together and get you the equipment you need. This is the best time to try on this kit and make sure we get the right size.
We’ll walk to the cave and explore it together. It is a 10 minute walk to the cave from the cars.
The cave contains some crouched passages, some walking passages. You will have a powerful headtorch so it will be quite bright. The group will be together and there will be much laughter and possibly swearing. It will be fun.
What cave are we going to exactly?
We’re going to Devonshire Cavern near Matlock. It fun and no pre-requisite skills are required – all levels and skills are catered for here.
Will I be scared?
Maybe. Sometimes new different things are scary. But we’ll be supporting and encouraging you to take things at your pace the entire time. This about having fun and having each others back. Whether you’re nervous or loving it, we’ve got your back.
How long will we be underground?
We’ll see how we’re feeling. At a guess – 3-4 hours – but we have plenty of options to shorten if we feel it’s the right thing.
Who is coming with us?
The caving trip will be lead by Charlotte – a patient and reassuring cave leader.
The trip size is limited. There probably won’t be more than 6 people.
How much will it cost?
You have 4 options:
Become a member
- If you want to become a the Caving Crew member, it is £37.50 for the year, and this trip is free.
- If you’re already a member of another club, it’s £20 for the year.
New to Caving? Join us for a one off?
- You can join us for up to 4 trips. After that you’ll need to join a Caving Club.
- If you want to join this trip as a one off, but not join as a member, it is £18.50 for this trip.
Already a Caving Crew member?
- If you’re already a Caving Crew member, it is £6 for this trip.
Member of another club?
- If you have your own BCA insurance – eg by being a member of another caving club (eg MUSC, CUCC) or by being a DIM, it’s £8 for this trip
The money goes towards:
- Any access costs
- Sharing fuel costs
- BCA Insurance
- Equipment hire and maintenance
- Any extra money goes to the club
I’m not sure about it. Will there be another one?
There will be other opportunities – but this is a rare opportunity to see this part of Devonshire Cavern